Wednesday, June 29

Can You Have a New Baby Update without Pictures?

Some of you may think no, but I am going to attempt it. I am interested in sharing some of my experience right now but not interested in getting the pictures off the camera.

We have been home from the hospital for a week now. In that time I think I have left the house once - to get a refill on my pain medication and to go to the library. The important things in life. Other than that, the yard is as far as I've gotten. And I love that. I am naturally a bit of a home body. Plus that one outing took a lot out of me. It was more than I was ready for. I have needed to be home, and I have enjoyed the increased rest I have gotten.

More than that, I love being able to focus so much on the most important parts of life without the things I enjoy a little less falling to me. Thanks to my parents, to Matt and to wonderful ward members, I haven't had to do much cooking and cleaning. And I can nap whenever I need to. It's incredible.

Instead of the everyday tasks, my time and attention have been focused on spending time with my mom and taking care of my kids. Because I don't have other things intruding on that, I have found taking care of the kids more enjoyable and fulfilling in the last week than I had for a long time. (Not that I don't like it a lot of the time. I do. But I like it more right now.)

It has been especially wonderful to begin to get to know this new member of our family. Let me tell you about Eliza. I pick her up in the night after being pulled from my sleepy state. I am still groggy and wanting to be lying down. As soon as she is in my arms I melt. (Oh this is sounding gushy. I'm anti-gushy. Oh well.) I love to take care of her because I love to look at her and hold her. (I'm totally a baby person to add to the natural love of a mom for a new baby of her own.) Anyway. So far Eliza is calm and happy. She sleeps a lot - naturally - and is most often calm and relaxed, even when she is awake. Mom and I keep marveling to each other about how calm she is. Where many newborns like to curl up and are often tense, Eliza stretches herself out and is totally relaxed most of the time. How sweet it is to see her! I think she increases the calm in the house. Along with that, she rarely cries. My mom asked last night if Eliza had cried that whole day. The answer was not that much. I try to meet her needs quickly so she won't have to get upset, but that does not account for how little she cries. I know all of this could change, but we are loving it while it lasts.

Whenever Matt is around - he had to go back to work this week :( - I remind him over and over to come look at Eliza. He always does, and he always smiles as soon as he sees her.

We are so grateful to have our little Eliza.

PS Thank you so much to so many of you for thoughtful gifts and kind comments. We feel loved and supported.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you posted. Pictures are nice, but updates are even nicer. :) I'm glad you're getting the chance to just be with your family and absorb Eliza into you every chance you get. She sounds like a delightful little girl! I laughed about the library trip. Of course you went to the library! :) love you!
    Rudy wants me to type that he loves your baby. :)

    ReplyDelete

[Cookie-Monster Voice]Comments!!!! Comments comments comments commments!!! Mmmmmm! Comments![/Cookie-Monster Voice]