I have been doing and learning so many things that I have found really valuable but not mentioning much of anything here. Occasionally I think about how I'd like to share with friends and family who read my blog some of the great stuff I have learned and the wonderful resources I have found but often don't make blogging a high priority.
There is one book I read recently for my Lifelong Learning class (provided by the Ten Boom Institute) that was so wonderful I wanted to share.
It is called Cure for the Common Life by Max Lucado. You can buy it on his website or here or here. It's also available at Orem Library.
This book speaks of the happy way we can live our lives if we follow our life's missions and do things that we are good at and that we love. He points out the need to do them for the glory of God, overcoming greed and desire for reputation. He calls those things we do that we enjoy and are good at our sweet spots and helps us see how even trivial seeming sweet spots can be parts of our life's mission and can build God's kingdom.
Lucado is a Christian pastor in Texas. His writing style is fun and funny, easily accessible, and full of analogies and anecdotes to prove his points. I had heard of some of his children's books previous to this but had not known he wrote adult books as well.
I enjoyed the whole book.
My favorite part was after the text when he provides prompts to help you go through your life thinking of times that could give you clues about your sweet spots and your life mission. I loved doing these exercises and shared them with my family over Thanksgiving.
I have been thinking a lot lately about the mission God intends me to fulfill and the general idea that each person has a unique mission. Each of us can learn from God what He wants us to do. That doesn't mean each of us need to be heroes, writing books, and leading movements. We can be ordinary people who try to do what God wants us to do. And He will help us do great things.
That's how I want to live.
No comments:
Post a Comment
[Cookie-Monster Voice]Comments!!!! Comments comments comments commments!!! Mmmmmm! Comments![/Cookie-Monster Voice]