Sunday, April 20

Matt

For those who read the blog who are not in our ward or in our semi-immediate family, Matt got a new calling today. He has been serving as the ward executive secretary for a little over a year and a half. Today he was called as the second counselor in the bishopric. Thank you to all who offered their congratulations and/or condolenscences today. (I don't know how to spell. Sorry.)

Many were sympathetic for me because Matt won't spend much time at home on Sundays. However, if you refer back to the part where Matt has been serving as the executive secretary and if you are familiar with all that entails, you will realize that this is nothing new for us. See the executive secretary goes too all the same regular Sunday meetings as the rest of the bishopric. He is basically part of the bishopric. He also goes and makes visits with the bishop and his counselors each Tuesday night. In fact, we both think that I will probably get to see a little more of Matt on Sundays now. Before, he stayed as long as the bishop. The counselors left sooner than that almost always. And after meetings on Sunday mornings, Matt could come home before church now where he was usually running around like a chicken with his head cut off before. I wouldn't be surprised if there were plenty of times to come where he would make it home from 8:30 am to after 5 pm just like before; still, I think I'll be seeing a little more of him. The disadvantage is, not sitting by him in church. I'll survive. That was a long tangent.

So the most important thing I wanted to say about Matt's new calling is that we are both really happy about it. I don't mean to brag about my husband - Ok, maybe I do - but I think he is pretty amazing. So I think he will do a great job. We are grateful that he has already had this time of getting familiar with church administration, with our bishop and his first counselor, Brother Coleman, and with the ward members. He already knows so many in our ward and loves them all. I have seen how devoted he is to building God's kingdom. (That's a HUGE part of why I married him.) The Lord said, "If ye have desires to serve God, ye are called to the work." I think another aspect of that is that if you have desires to serve God, you will serve Him well. Matt may feel a bit overwhelmed, but his desire to do a good job and to please the Lord will motivate him to do what is necessary for the Lord to be pleased.

Just today I already feel we have been richly blessed by his new calling. My parents and brother came, and his sister and two brothers came with their families. One brother drove up from California on Friday and Saturday only to turn around to head back tonight and tomorrow just to support Matt. And because Matt asked him to ordain him a high priest. Thanks for coming, Lance. That meant so much to us! We were sad that Matt's parents couldn't be here, but they are on a mission in Australia. We're glad for that too!

Matt shared a funny and humble and uplifting testimony during Sacrament Meeting. Brother Law also shared a testimony about how he has grown in his calling in the bishopric. I appreciated the things he said. We will miss the Laws when they move. I hope everything goes well for them. His ordination and setting apart were uplifting. I felt blessed hearing them and sharing that time with him and with the Dones and Wadleys who were there to be set apart as well (the men in the families).

After the ordination and setting apart, all the family came back to our house for dinner. I was a bit nervous about it as I have never hosted that many people for dinner at my own house all by myself. But I had lots of help. I was able to do the shopping and house cleaning - thanks to my friend BriAnne for watching Amy while I cleaned - Friday, some of the prepration Saturday and this morning, and I had help in the kitchen today. (Thanks to Mom and Melanie for helping prepare and clean, Robin for bringing the vegetables, and Abby, Robin, and Mom for bring tables and chairs.) We had a great time, and everything went smoothly. What a blessing.

I feel grateful to the Lord for giving us opportunities to serve and to grow. I have found great joy in supporting Matt in his calling. I am glad he has had such a big responsibility already in our marriage so that I have learned how to support him. I hope I can be the support he needs now. I consider this new experience a great blessing for our family, and overwhelmed as he is, I know Matt feels the same way.

Last of all, I just want to say: I love you Matt!

1 comment:

  1. That's great! I want to wish you good luck Bont, since I'm in the exact same situation (being married to the second counselor). I agree with you, though. You may see more of him than you did before. I've found it to be less time consuming than when Jon was scoutmaster. The biggest downside is no help with kids during sacrament meeting. You only have one, but that's still not easy! Congrats to Matt! You'll learn a ton, I'm sure. It's been a good experience for us.

    ReplyDelete

[Cookie-Monster Voice]Comments!!!! Comments comments comments commments!!! Mmmmmm! Comments![/Cookie-Monster Voice]