Monday, November 3

Election Time

Is anyone else sick of talking/ studying about politics? I find it very boring. That's beside the point.

I have been studying the issues and the candidates for a while and have realized that third party is the way to go for me. Matt feels the same way. So then the question was, which third party candidate.

I've studied them all and compared their stances on individual issues. For the most part, I think many of the third party candidates are more closely aligned with each other and so there are a few that I would be happy to support, way before McCain or Obama.

I have mostly been debating between Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party and Bob Barr of the Libertarian party. They both seem like good candidates. I plan to vote for Bob Barr (unless I change my mind by tomorrow) because he seems to be even more emphatic about the principle of getting the government out of many issues that the government doesn't belong in in the first place. I think that's very important. However, I really like the principles behind the Constitution Party as far as I have learned about them. I think either candidate would do WAY better than McCain or Obama.

There are many who argue that a third party candidate vote is a wasted vote. I disagree. While I do not believe there is any chance that a third party candidate will be president, I think the mentality and the system needs to change to include more (and often better) choices.

This isn't some professionally studied or written post. I am not offended if you don't agree with me. I just wanted to put the idea out there that there really are more choices in the vote than the Republicans and Democrats.

3 comments:

  1. Brian was thinking about voting Bob Barr too, but he's still voting in Washington which can sometimes be a swing state, so I encouraged him to go major party. 3rd party votes are totally not wasted... if a 3rd party gets 5% of the national vote they get national funding for the next election, which can actually maybe lead to some change in the system so we get less of the "choosing the better of 2 poor choices" kind of election.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh... ps. I'm lame... i'm not registered to vote. Washington state forgot I existed when I changed my name and I've been rebelling against registering in Utah. I just kind of refuse to recognize that I'm a Utah resident. And when I did come to terms I'd missed the deadlie. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definetely agree that Obama and McCain are not good candidates. I have already voted and I voted for McCain. Reason being that there really isn't any chance that the 3rd parties will win and that takes away votes from a major party. I agree that a mindset needs to change but this election is an important one for my family. Aaron is in the health care industry and Obama wants to socialize medicine which is a really bad idea. Socializing medicine will lower doctors, Pharmacist, etc pay to $10 an hour. Doctors will no longer want to be doctors and things will be just like canada. There will not be enough doctors and Pharmisists and thus we will not receive the medical care we need. Also did you know you that one year of Pharmacy grad school cost $35,000 a year. If Aaron's pay is cut to $10 and hour we won't even be able to pay our monthly student loans let along provide for our family. Another reason why I have decided to vote major party is because Obama has announced he is going to bankrupt the coal companies and close them. Where will our power come from? We do not have enough alternative resources yet to power the United states, also my dad is a coal miner his job would be gone. I just feel that if I were to vote for Bob Barr (I feel he is a good candiate) that would be taking a vote from McCain which in a way is like voting for Obama. McCain needs every vote he can get.

    ReplyDelete

[Cookie-Monster Voice]Comments!!!! Comments comments comments commments!!! Mmmmmm! Comments![/Cookie-Monster Voice]