Thursday, February 26

My Sanity Savers

So somehow I ended up babysitting two kids for four hours - mostly by myself - last night and two different kids for 4 to 4 1/2 hours - also mostly by myself - this morning. (They're still here.) And I only had 10 hours in between to drive home from Salt Lake and get a night's sleep in. And of course I had Amy the whole time. So I haven't had as much patience as I sometimes might. Plus I've had a hard time dealing with kids telling me what to do and what to buy at the store and when food needed to be ready and whether or not they should go to bed (that was last night.) So we're in survival mode - not the best parenting way to be, but sometimes it's all you can do. OK, maybe not all I can do. I COULD do more, but I'm selfish, and I don't feel like it.

So here are some of my sanity saving methods, the ways I take care of myself so that I can handle listening to kids and breaking up fights and wiping bums (plenty of which I have done today.)

1. Scripture Study. That helps a lot. I need the extra support from my Father in Heaven because I still want to be kind to these kids, even if I get frustrated.

2. Chatting with Matt. He's sympathetic and kind. (Plus he knows more than anyone what goes on in my life. So he understands why I'm tired today. He's really tired too.)

3. Reading blogs. I just enjoy that. So I have been doing it here and there this morning in between activities.

4. Eating. Even if I don't take my turn until after everyone else is fed, and I just get whatever is leftover. I am INSISTING that I get to eat.

5. Prayer. That helps a ton too.

6. Today - Wall-E. Thanks Wall-E.

7. New rules. Today the rule was that no one could talk about lunch - what we were having or when we were eating until it was time for lunch - which I would determine. The kids didn't do great at not talking about it, but it helped me to not have to answer the questions.

So I actually feel fairly sane and only a little guilty for my selfishness. After these kids go home, Amy and I are taking naps. And I won't even feel the tiniest bit guilty about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

[Cookie-Monster Voice]Comments!!!! Comments comments comments commments!!! Mmmmmm! Comments![/Cookie-Monster Voice]