Thursday, July 29

Books That Have Helped Me

There is a term I hear a lot in my family - being "onto" something. Especially my mom gets onto certain things. Matt does too. In 2010 there are two things I'm feeling particularly onto - parenting and mental health.

I'm pretty much always onto parenting. I love learning about it and finding ways to improve. I LOVE getting to do this wonderful, enjoyable, and most important work. And I love learning how to do it better.

I also have been really interested lately in mental health because I get anxious. So I have been utilizing many resources to help me cope in hard times. And it's been great to learn all the things I have.

With that in mind, I thought I would share about two books I'm currently reading. I probably shouldn't review a book before finishing since I often change my mind about books by the end. But oh well.

My friend, Maria, lent me Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child by Marc Weissbluth because I told her about the struggles I've had getting kids to bed at reasonable times. It's been helpful for me to have reinforced how good and important it is for kids to get good sleep. And somehow, sleep has become less stressful rather than more as I have made it a higher priority. I'm able to say no to things that conflict with naptimes or bed more. I just try to protect their sleep needs. And I feel satisfied about it. They certainly are happier when they get good sleep. Certainly, this doesn't come without some sacrifice. Sometimes I get a little stir crazy and wish that we could go on more outings - although I am often a bit of a homebody anyway and don't know where I'd go if we did go. And there are times when I really would rather keep the kids up - for my sake or theirs - for whatever reason. And I am certainly not an advocate for being totally rigid about it. I think the author goes a little oveboard sometimes. It's just not realistic that EVERYTHING in life will revolve around your kids' sleep schedules no matter how hard you try and what sacrifices you make. Still, I feel very satisfied when I know my girls sleep better, and I know we are all happier and better behaved as a result.

I am also reading Self-Coaching by Joseph J. Luciani. At this stage I am just reading it, not really jumping in and applying it yet, but I'd like to. I am a believer in the power of working on improving thoughts to improve attitude and mental health. I don't think that is sufficient by itself in many cases, but it can be very helpful. On that note, something that I advocate strongly - as do many in my family - is Recovery International. The principles taught there could help ANYONE manage temper and negative though patterns. It is especially helpful for those who struggle with mental health. And it has helped my A TON in a very little time.

Anyway, it would probably be helpful of me to review these books after I finish them. Maybe I'll give a follow-up. But I really wanted to share in case there were others who could benefit.

I'm just getting started on my quest for knowledge and experience in parenting and dealing with mental health. Sometimes I get in an attitude of thinking I know what's what. Perhaps I'll laugh at this teenager-tendency in young-mother-me when I am older. I know there is a lot to know out there on each of these subjects, a million theories, studies, and people sharing from there experiences. I look forward to continuing to study and learn - and hopefully improve - in these areas.

Does anyone else have any suggestions/ resources they have found helpful? I am all ears. Sometimes I just want to read and study with way more of my time. But then I would miss all the chances to practice what I learn. Doesn't work that way. Still, I'll get around to lots of parenting and mental health books eventually.

Thanks for reading my rantings.

6 comments:

  1. I too laud Recovery International. The best way I think I can explain it is that, I would never claim to be in perfect physical health, so why would I think I have perfect mental health. I've gone to Recovery a few times and find it useful, insightful, and interesting. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in improving their mental health.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been to Recovery, but Anne has taught me a few things, and it has helped tremendously.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally am in love with Healthy Sleep Habits Happy Child. My cousins and I all joke that we have testimonies of this book and it's practices. I really like having my son on the schedule, and we do fun things once or twice a month that interfere with nap time or bed time--but that just makes it a bigger deal because he knows it's something special.

    We have been told by so many people that he is a happy content baby and that I'm lucky. I won't deny that his personality is to be happy, but I think a lot of it is because he's well rested. Sleep is so important!

    I do agree that sometimes it's hard because I want to play with friends or do something but I can't due to his nap, but it's completely worth the sacrifice that I have made. His sleep is more important.

    I don't have anything to say about the other book, but it sounds really interesting. I'll pick it up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also really love the healthy sleep book! For infants I like "The Baby Whisperer" and "On Becoming Babywise"
    "Toddler whisperer" is not as good. "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron is awesome too.
    I don't think I am in any position to offer any kind of parenting advise but,
    I think one of the best parenting books of all time is Glenn Latham's, "the power of positive parenting" Can't wait to put some of his ideas into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We read Dr Weisbluth's book when Allison was born... I attribute protecting our kids sleep times to them being good sleepers... but I DID go stir crazy with Carter... he was a 3 nap baby FOREVER! I couldn't get anything done... and he still wants to be a 2 nap baby (AT 16 MONTHS!) but I've forced him to 1 becuase I HAVE to be able to accomplish things that don't involve being in the house. Allison, at 3, still naps too... probably becasue we make it a priority. And yes, you make a lot of sacrifices to protect your kids' sleep (a social life comes to mind... and if not a social life, then a good bit of money for babysitters!) but well rested kids are a million times easier and more plesant than the alternative.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read either book, but sleep time has always been a huge priority for me (remember the bazillion play groups I had to miss because Sunshine was still asleep?) I believe that the reason she goes to bed so easily now is because it's always been that way.

    As for the other book, we'll have to talk more about that some time when I'm in your neck of the woods. It sounds really interesting. I'm like you, I love learning new things/theories/ideas/etc, but I have no time to read anything, so it's great for me to talk about it with someone who's done the hard work (aka: reading) and can share the highlights.

    ReplyDelete

[Cookie-Monster Voice]Comments!!!! Comments comments comments commments!!! Mmmmmm! Comments![/Cookie-Monster Voice]