Tuesday, February 12

Matt Parks, Cook Extraordinare

[Photo was removed for copyright reasons.]






What? Those of you who know Matt well (especially family members and former roommates) are wondering what on earth I could have to say about Matt as an extraordinary cook. Now don't get me wrong. I think he probably could cook a few things and have them turn out ok. I think. He doesn't really try. See Matt is one of those kitchen-a-phobes. He doesn't go into the kitchen unless it's to give me a hi-Bonnie-I'm-home-from-work kiss, to take his gummy bear vitamins, or to get the cereal and milk. If he has to cook for any significant length of time he gets kind of grumpy - especially if the kitchen is messy.

However, Saturday changed all that. Now, I am not naive enough to think that this will make Matt enthused about working in the kitchen. But Saturday Matt won his first ever cooking (or should I say baking) contest!!!!!!! Yippee! We had a dessert fair for a ward activity. There were different categories, and you could choose which category to submit your dessert to. Then there was a winner picked from each category. Matt thought his fit best in the "Most Tasty" contest. And he was right! He won! His truly was the most tasty dessert. (There were 5 or 6 other desserts in the "most tasty" category. No offense to the other desserts involved. In all fairness, I didn't try many desserts. I just ate whatever Matt or my friend, Emily fed me because I was busy feeding Amy. I am sure all the other desserts were wonderful too.

So now I know what you are all thinking. (Except for those of you who were at the activity.) What did he make???????

Picture this:
Chocolate cake batter cookies
rolos inside each cookie
cream cheese frosting sandwiched between two cookies

Result: One amazing oreo! They are delicious! And Matt makes them very well!

Now I hope that this post does not come across as gloating or prideful. I like to think of it as a tribute to Matt for developing a talent and for a job well done.

Way to go, Honey!


P.S. The picture just seemed fitting for the title of the post. I wanted all of you to see my handsome, amazing baker husband. Isn't he great?!

5 comments:

  1. Feeling slightly abashed, (mostly at the picture than anything), I must admit I am a bit proud of myself. The mere thought that I would win any contest related to cooking that wasn't "The recipe that went most awry" is beyond laughable. So yes, I am pleased. Thanks hon, you're the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd just like to say that in that category his was the most tasty. BUT there were a couple of desserts in the other categories that I liked better. Maybe it was the "Oh my chocolaty-sugar shock" factor of his cookies or maybe I just like creamy stuff better. Or it could have been my mood. Anyway all this rambling and I still haven't said that the cookies were amazing and I think that they are what I should get for my birthday. (c:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't even try your cookies.

    I was bitter because my dessert didn't win anything.

    Just kidding. :)

    Andrew tried them and said they were delicious. Actually, he kind of squeezed these words out, his mouth full of cookie,

    "Der's caw-mew insi!"

    Translation: There's caramel inside!

    Don't think I've seen him that happy in a long time. :)

    I, on the other hand, can't eat chocolate, but I'll take Andrew's words for it...they probably were fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember eating these cookies(minus the frosting) when Rob (Matt's old roommate) and I were engaged. Rob still tries to make them sometimes, never remembering how much (oil, eggs, whatever's in them) to add to make the cake batter cookies and he's always experimenting on what candies he can put in them. Rolos are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bonnie, Your blog is way cute. I can't believe how big Amy is getting to be. We all need to get together soon so we can see eachother's cute kids.

    ReplyDelete

[Cookie-Monster Voice]Comments!!!! Comments comments comments commments!!! Mmmmmm! Comments![/Cookie-Monster Voice]