Tuesday, December 1

Following the Spirit

Last night we were home taught from this talk from General Conference. I started thinking today about how when I was a teenager something I thought about a lot and really wanted to learn about was how to recognize the Holy Ghost. Whenever we had those kind of meetings where we got to ask doctrinal questions on any subject, I always wanted someone to give me more insights that would help me to recognize and follow the Spirit.

Elder Scott explains the role of the Holy Ghost in prompting us:

"Father in Heaven knew that you would face challenges and be required to make some decisions that would be beyond your own ability to decide correctly. In His plan of happiness, He included a provision for you to receive help with such challenges and decisions during your mortal life. That assistance will come to you through the Holy Ghost as spiritual guidance. It is a power, beyond your own capability, that a loving Heavenly Father wants you to use consistently for your peace and happiness."

We talked last night about how it is a constant process to learn how to follow the Spirit. About this, Elder Scott says:

"I am convinced that there is no simple formula or technique that would immediately allow you to master the ability to be guided by the voice of the Spirit. Our Father expects you to learn how to obtain that divine help by exercising faith in Him and His Holy Son, Jesus Christ. Were you to receive inspired guidance just for the asking, you would become weak and ever more dependent on Them. They know that essential personal growth will come as you struggle to learn how to be led by the Spirit."

We also discussed how Heavenly Father can help us choose how to use our time each day to best build His kingdom. I'm thinking about that today as I have been busy and stressed lately and still feel like there are many demands pressing on me as December begins. What I want most during this time and always is to do Heavenly Father's work. I just always need to be figuring out what that is.

I really don't have a profound insight to share, just that this is what I'm thinking about and wanting to improve. And I have hope that Heavenly Father will continue to help me improve and inspire me as He has in the past to know how to do His work.

1 comment:

  1. That talk has been the one that really 'stuck' with me through conference and beyond. It gave me so much food for thought about how I can improve my communication with Heavenly Father. Something I really loved from the talk was Elder Scott's comment about how increased spirituality has two blessings-knowledge, and POWER. Power to act upon the things you are prompted to do. That is something I could really use right now, and always!

    ReplyDelete

[Cookie-Monster Voice]Comments!!!! Comments comments comments commments!!! Mmmmmm! Comments![/Cookie-Monster Voice]