We're home from church today because Amy had a fever last night, and then I wondered this morning if Noel had one too. As of right now, both girls seem to be fine. But still. We couldn't go to church that soon after the fever. So instead, now is the time designated for family flop. Meaning Noel, Amy and I are all supposed to be sleeping. I loved the idea. The girls are not cooperating. Which brings me to the point of this post.
Does anyone have any good ideas for how to keep Amy from waking Noel up when they are both supposed to be sleeping?
She's done this quite a few times recently. Noel goes down before Amy a lot of the time. And when Amy goes into their room to go to sleep, it doesn't take long before they're talking and giggling away. I don't mind that so much. It's the fact that Noel doesn't go back to sleep - and usually Amy doesn't get to sleep as long as I leave Noel in there. So it ruins nap time for Noel a lot of the time.
Now, my preferred solution would be to have the girls in separate rooms, at least at this age. But this is not possible right now because we only have 2 rooms in our condo. I have put Noel down in my closet to sleep a few times so that Amy won't be able to wake her up. One of the times I woke her up accidently. I don't love having babies sleep in my room, but sometimes this is better than having them in the same room.
So today when I heard them going, I poked my head in and got Amy's attention but not Noel's and quietly told her in a stern voice to lie down and go to sleep. Yeah, like that worked. I don't have great consequence ideas for Amy waking Noel up because
a) we usually put Amy in time out, but I don't even want to go all the way into their room to get her to take her to time out. I would get Noel's attention, and her nap would be officially shot. And the momentum towards a nap of Amy being in her bed would be interrupted. Bad idea.
b) If I put Amy in time out for it after her nap that won't even mean anything to her by that point.
c) the damage is already done. Noel's awake. That's what I most wanted to avoid.
So other than keeping Noel in my closet for naptime, does anyone have any other ideas that would work to keep Amy from waking Noel up? As much as I'd like to say that we'll just move into a bigger place, that's not an immediate enough solution. (Although I am looking forward to that when it happens.)
Melissa says on facebook that she is going to be a new aunt. Do you know anything about this...or is it on the other side? I'm sorry to say that I have no advise for you! I have a hard enough time with chris' sleep schedule. Good Luck, I hope you figure it out so that when I am in the same situation I have someone to ask what to do, and for your own sleep which is the most important!
ReplyDeleteThe Closet is the only solution I can see. It's tough.
ReplyDeleteAnywho, Kara, you have our blog don't you? It's www.pokedotarmstrong.blogspot.com
I would definitely avoid the entire situation and have them nap in separate rooms. They can sleep together at night and separately during the day. The inconvenience would be worth it.
ReplyDeleteLike everyone else, I have no good ideas. I would go for separate rooms. Amy is still young enough that I can't think of anything that would work to help her not wake up the baby. Those girls sound like they sure love each other!
ReplyDeleteWhat if you made is a game for Amy to keep Noel asleep? Or (this always worked with naomi when she wouldn't sleep....) Who can sleep the longest? Other than that the closet, or having Amy go down first is the only solution I can see. It's tough!! Sorry to hear that. Oh, and HAPPY BIRTHDAY MATT!! (I know it's a day late, but I wan't on the computer yesterday!) Many many happy returns to you!
ReplyDeleteI was going to ask you about all this when I was over there and saw the pack-n-play in the little bedroom. I guess this answers my question.
ReplyDeleteI'd do the closet.I'm sure you'll remember that Jon and BriAnne had Ethan in there until he was about two. It seemed to work for them. And I totally agree with Large Marge, any inconvenience would be worth it for me.
Thanks for the posts about the pillow. I ordered mine just moments ago. I don't know how happy Clay will be that I spent $60 on a PILLOW!!!!, but I now consider it a "MUST HAVE", not just a "would be nice to have." (and he can chalk it up to his V-Day present for me...maybe that will ease the sting:))