My first night there I met a wonderful family, the Bainbridges. Christy was scheduled to be baptized soon after, and we worked with her to help her finish getting ready for that. Her husband, Howard was not interested in being baptized but was very interested in all the discussions we had. He had studied the Bible a lot and had a lot of questions as we taught them. He was baptized a few months after I went home. They were sealed in the temple last year.
So it was to the Bainbridges' house we went. We jumped into the usual kids-getting-home-from-school business and just enjoyed getting to be with the family. Christy has one daughter who lives with them, and Howard's son and daughter recently came to live with them too. It was fun to see everyone and how they had changed since I saw them last.
A few of the members of the ward came by while we were there, and we were glad to see them. We had a fun dinner together and lots of talking and laughing. The missionaries even stopped by, and Matt and I enjoyed meeting them.
After the kids were in bed and the other guests had gone home Howard, Christy, Matt, and I stayed up talking. This talk was definitely one of the highlights of the trip. They have a way of sharing things that brings the Spirit so well and so strong. I love them so much, and that helped add to the way we felt. I was impressed that throughout our conversation, the topic would shift from fun to spiritual and back again quite a bit. We were laughing throughout, and yet sharing some very deep and personal things in between. I was so impressed that that was even possible without feeling like any mood was interrupted. I am impressed beyond words with the progress Howard and Christy have made and the obstacles they have overcome with the Lord's help. How pleased He must be with them! And there are few people I know who express that much determination to choose the right not matter how hard. Howard talked of how there are not struggles or temptations worth sacrificing the promises the Lord has given for those who keep His commandments. Not in those words, but in the words that described the application of that sentiment in his life. My faith was strengthened, and I felt joy being with them. Thank you, Howard and Christy for sharing so much with us. How I love you!
All too soon the next morning it was time to leave. I wish we could have spent more time with them, but I am so grateful for what we did have.
No comments:
Post a Comment
[Cookie-Monster Voice]Comments!!!! Comments comments comments commments!!! Mmmmmm! Comments![/Cookie-Monster Voice]