I was just pondering about life and how child care - my own kids and others - fits into it. I have been pondering about my responsibilities (sometimes also known as burdens, or even heavy burdens) and why it is hard for me to take care of all the things I need to do.
And I realized something, a great blessing in my life. When I think of responsibilities that weigh me down, I don't think of taking care of my kids. Of course, my kids take up more of my time and attention than any other thing. I take their care very seriously, and it's often hard and sometimes unpleasant. But rarely would I describe it as a burden.
Perhaps that is because when I am mothering well, I feel and I know that I am doing the BEST possible thing I can be doing. Perhaps it is because I love my kids so much. Perhaps it is because of the great satisfaction I get when I see that they've learned something, and maybe I had a part in teaching them.
That's not to say that I always feel up to the task. I do have times sometimes (even whole days occasionally) where I feel unable to cope. Usually when I'm at that point I can't cope emotionally; sometimes it's physical - I'm too tired. There are days when I long for Matt to come home to relieve me, and it's almost always the case that I take a certain delight in being somewhere without my kids for a little break. (And then miss them 5 minutes later. Why do we moms do this?)
Most of the time, however, I feel an overall contentment in being a mom. I delight in much about my kids and other kids. I enjoy playing games and playing with toys and reading book (although Amy can often outlast me at these tasks.) I like singing songs and saying silly things. I like trying to decipher what a toddler just said that sounded like gibberish. I love seeing my girls become better and better friends. I even like doing Amy's hair. Who knew I'd feel that way?
And I don't feel burdened.
That is why when I think of trying to simplify my life, I don't think of not babysitting. Child care is hard and sometimes not fun, but I don't think it's a burden. And because I feel that way, I am grateful. I feel like Heavenly Father blessed me to love and enjoy children. And one way I want to thank Him for that blessing is to take advantage of this wonderful time when I get to be with children so much.
(Isn't it always easier to write these kind of posts after the kids go to bed?) :)
What a great observation!
ReplyDeleteI was talking with a bunch of men at work (there are only men in my office) and all of them but one were saying basically how having children kind of ruined their life. All of them are good LDS guys, but I think maybe they just weren't prepared for the responsibilites that come with parenthood.
anyway, I've been thinking a lot about that conversation lately, and I feel the same way you do. I often feel tired, and sometimes I feel overwhelmed, but I don't feel burdened. And I also agree with you that it's a blessing from Heavenly Father to love and enjoy children.
Thanks for the post.